Monday, July 25, 2016

Overseas Immersion Program

I am finally back in Singapore after the 12 weeks exchange program in DigiPen (Redmond). I realised that their teaching culture is different from Singapore as the teacher does not force the student to listen in class. The subsequent weeks after the first relaxing week has consecutively been hectic despite taking 4 modules. I did not have time to cook my meals, and the hours of sleep reduces. By the time the entire semester ended, I was exhausted.

Each game prototype assignment is 3 weeks long (1 week for planning) instead of 5 weeks, and it will be graded according to the rubric. The rubric is not properly explained to us because it did not specify some items and some terms were not described. Therefore, I took the risk in the final assignment by not having a lose state because it was not stated in the rubric. The professor penalised me for leaving it out.

I am most proud of my second assignment, which focuses on the element of sensation (Zen Rhino's Engagement Theory). Realising that my previous racing game idea has a big game-breaking flaw in it due to its core mechanic, I spent 1 week developing the game. You can find this game in my portfolio (Game Designer) and download it so that you can play it too.

Beat Box